- PhD (awarded with no corrections), University of Edinburgh (2015 – 2019)
Title: “Digisprudence: The Affordance of Legitimacy in Code-as-Law”. The thesis considers the ways code architectures regulate behaviour, and how this form of regulation can be done legitimately. It will be published as a monograph in Edinburgh University Press’ Future Law series in 2021.
- LLM in Innovation, Technology and the Law (passed with distinction), University of Edinburgh (2013 – 2015)
Courses included privacy theory, data protection (inc. GDPR), legal challenges of ICT, e-commerce, and the law of robotics. My LL.M. dissertation won the Google Award for Best Postgraduate Paper at BILETA 2016 and was published as ‘Opening the Black Box: Petri Nets and Privacy by Design’.
- LLB (with first class honours), University of Edinburgh (2003 – 2007)
My dissertation was published in the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice.
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Edinburgh (2007 – 2008)
- Diploma in Software Technology for the Web (passed with distinction), Edinburgh Napier University (2010 – 2011)
- Postdoctoral researcher, COHUBICOL project (2019 — present)
Foundational research in computational law, developing a hermeneutics between legal theory and theoretical computer science with the goal of retaining (and reshaping, if necessary) the central tenets of the rule of law.
- Research and teaching assistant, University of Strathclyde (2016 – 2018)
Taught sessions on the LLM module “Privacy, Crime and Security” as part of the Internet Law and Policy programme at Strathclyde. Topics included privacy theory, user rights under the GDPR, and algorithmic accountability. Assisted Prof. Lilian Edwards on a variety of projects.
- CREATe research assistant, University of Edinburgh (2013 – 2015)
Assisted Prof. Burkhard Schafer on the project ‘Self-enforcing IP Law: Life after DRM’.
- Full stack web developer, 39steps (2010 – 2015)
- Legal Research Assistant, Scottish Law Commission (2008 – 2010)
- Technical consultant, Scottish Law Commission (2011 – present)
- Co-founder and Managing Editor, Journal of Cross-disciplinary Research in Computational Law (CRCL) (2020 – present)
I played a central role in launching CRCL, the sister journal to COHUBICOL, including designing and tailoring the journal’s website, workflow, and publication template.
- Technical Editor, SCRIPTed (2013 – present)
I handle all aspects of the journal’s digital publishing workflow, from Word templating to issue launches. I designed the journal’s website and re-designed the back-end publishing workflow to be more user- and M2M-friendly in order to reduce human error, improve the efficiency of the publishing process, and to integrate better with other metadata platforms and tools as well as social media (e.g. DOI, Google Scholar, Dublin Core, Open Graph).
- Convener (chair) and trustee, Edinburgh Samba School (2017 – 2019; performer since 2013)
- Volunteer and assistant trainer, Samaritans (2011 – 2013)
Scholarships and awards